quinta-feira, 10 de fevereiro de 2011

A Secret part of England

Source: www.speakup.com.br
Language level: Advanced
Standard: British accent


A SECRET PART OF ENGLAND

IF you’re looking for an original way to see the English countryside, then we suggest you should rent a narrowboat and spend a few days travelling along part of the country’s extensive canal system. And you might want to visit the village of Stoke Bruerne in Northamptonshire, which has a canal instead of high street. The village is home to Lynda Payton, who explains how she first discovered England’s inland waterways:

Lynda Payton

Standard: British accent:

I discovered the canals in the late ‘60s, when I was still at school, and I lived in London and we had a photographic project and London was changing a lot then because it was, you know, post-war, a lot of building going on and a lot things disappearing, and I discovered there was a canal running very close to where I lived. And I never knew what a canal was. And I set out to photograph it before it disappeared because that’s what was happening, it was being built over. And by doing that, I suddenly discovered there was this sort of entirely different parallel universe, where there were all these waterways going off to different parts of the country and it was just totally separate from the rest of life, if you like, and no one knew about it. It was like discovering a secret part of England, really, and I soon, in researching it, for this school project, discovered that it was full of history and heritage and industrial archaeology and it was a fascinating place to be.

ANOTHER WORLD

I you take a canal holiday, you will only travel a few miles, as the pace is very slow but, as waterways enthusiast Brian Collings explains, that is a big part of the attraction:

Brian Collings
Standard: British accent

You don’t realize just how much you’ve unwound until you get off your boat and try and cross a dual carriageway, to get to the chip shop: you suddenly realize how much in the slow lane. There’s so much to enjoy as well, whatever your interests are, whether it be historical, wildlife, nature, or just leisure, or even getting from one pub to the next! It’s all there for you. And the beauty, again, you go along, and you go from one bridge to the next, you go round the next corner and the view is completely different. You see the world from a completely different point of view.

Liked this post and this blog? Telling for friends twitting, thank you dear readers for dropping by.

2 comentários:

Norazam disse...

Hello..I`ve always love the English countryside.Many many years ago,i took a ride on the narrow canal boat.When i read your posts,all the memories just explode out of my mind.Thanks for sharing.

Damiao disse...

Thank you Norazam, I love nature and beautiful landscape, if I will have the opportunity I'll take a ride there, it sounds romantic.