sexta-feira, 21 de janeiro de 2011

Beyoncé, Dreamgirl





Source: Speak Up
Language level: Advanced
Standard: American accent 
Dreamgirl Beyoncé



The film career of Destiny’s Child Star Beyoncé Knowles has taken a new turn with the release of Dreamgirls. Directed by Bill Condon, who wrote the screenplay to Chicago and directed Kinsey, it has a star-studded cast that includes Eddie Murphy, Jamie Foxx and Danny Glover. The movie, which is based on a hit Broadway musical of the same name, is said to have been inspired by the story of Diana Ross and the Supremes. Beyoncé Knowles even plays a character called “Deena Jones,” but the Dreamgirls star was keen to put the record straight.

Beyoncé Knowles
(Standard American/African-American accent):

This movie, and the character I play, Deena, is really different form Diana Ross, it’s not her story at all, actually, I think. I know that she was my inspiration, as far as the looks, the wigs, the make-up, the clothes, some of her posture on stage, but it kind of stops right there. Deena is…is her own character, and is her own life, but it was important that I knew that Diana was not upset! And I saw her, when I did…well, I was just at a Clive Davis (a legendary music industry executive –ed) party and she was there and she came to me, she was so sweet, very kind. And I so appreciated it because I admire her so much.

AN EMOTIONAL EXPERIENCE

Beyoncé admits that playing the part of Deena was an emotionally draining experience:

Beyoncé Knowles:

I wasn’t myself for six months, I wasn’t, and even when I went in the studio, I still wasn’t myself, on my album, which is why I wanted to go in the studio, so I could find myself again, ‘cause I was going to basketball games with three pairs of lashes and I’m like “Who am I? Where…where am I?” ‘Cause I just see Deena, I’m like sitting like this the whole time with my shoulders shrugged and I’m like “That’s not me, that’s not how I perform.” So, it was really fascinating because I think it’s taken a couple of months, even after the movie, to get back into my own body!

THE PRICE OF FAME

One of the themes of Dreamgirls is the price of fame. Beyoncé believes, however, that her own career has been different. She was raised in an affluent suburb of Houston Texas, and is managed by her father, whereas Deena, like Diana Ross, grew up in one of the rougher sections of Detroit, Michigan, also known as “Motown”:

Beyoncé Knowles:

Well, Deena, her need, her personal need, is different because she came out of the Detroit projects, without a father. I went to private school, in middle, upper-class neighborhood and my father and my mother, I had both of them, I was very close to my family. So her mother couldn’t really tell her the truth because obviously she was paying for everything, and my family, my parents were successful, so they can tell me the truth, and we just have different lives and I don’t think I need it for the same reason she did. She went through a lot of things that I haven’t had to go through, but I made the choice to keep those people around me. Most celebrities don’t have honest people around them, and that is your choice, and I’ve been protected from a lot of things that you have to go through, a lot of the prices of fame. And it is difficult and you’re exposed to a lot of things that you shouldn’t be exposed to, and have access to any and everything, people will tell you that everything you do is wonderful, so it can be really hard to know what’s real and what’s not, but I think it’s important to know who you are and to keep the people around you that make who you are.

A Star is Born…

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles was born in Houston, Texas on September 4th, 1981. Her father, Mathew Knowles, is her manager, while her mother, Tina Beyince, is of Louisiana Creole descent. Beyoncé’s youngster sister, Solange, is also a professional singer. Beyonce’s career took off with group Destiny’s Child, who were allegedly discovered by Whitney Houston. Destiny’s Child has sold a combined total (albums and singles) of over 60 million records, and are said to be the biggest-selling girl group of all time. In addition to her singing and acting career, Beyoncé is a fashion designer. Her boyfriend is the rapper Jay-Z.

Nenhum comentário: