sexta-feira, 27 de abril de 2018

Espresso English: 10 English Phrasal Verbs About Socializing

For more information, please visit the website and getting started to learn a real English Course, just drop by HERE


Phrasal Verbs in Conversation Course

Ask (Someone) Over

If you ask someone over, you invite the person to your house or apartment:
“My roommates and I are going to ask our English teacher over for lunch.”

Ask (Someone) Out

If you ask someone out, you invite the person to go out for a romantic encounter:
“Bill asked me out, but I turned him down (said no). He’s just not my type.”

Come Over

When a person comes over, they arrive at your house or apartment:
“Why don’t you come over to my place after class? We can work on the project together.”

Bring Over

To bring something over is to bring an object to the other person’s house or apartment:
“I’ll bring over my DVD collection so that we can watch some movies.”

Have (Someone) Over

Have over is the general word for having people visit your house/apartment:
“We’re having about 15 people over for Thanksgiving dinner.”

Pop In / Stop In / Stop By

These phrasal verbs mean to enter a place for a short period of time:
“I just stopped by to say hi – I need to go in about ten minutes.”

Drop In

Drop in means to visit unexpectedly:
“My sister always drops in while I’m in the middle of doing something important. I wish she’d call me before she came over.”

Drop (Someone) Off

Drop off is when you take somebody in your car and then leave them in another place:
“I’m going to drop my husband off at the airport. He’s traveling to London.”

Pick (Someone) Up

Pick up is the opposite of “drop off.” If you pick someone up, you go drive to a place and get someone into your car. Remember that you drop someone off at a place, and you pick someone up from a place.
“My husband returns from London on Thursday – I’ll pick him up from the airport around noon.”

Meet Up With (Someone)

To meet up with someone is to get together at a particular time and place:
“I’m going to meet up with some friends at the bar at 8:30.”

Bonus Idiom: “Take A Rain Check”

“We’re going to play basketball tomorrow afternoon. Do you want to join us?”
I’ll have to take a rain check – my boyfriend and I are going to see a concert. Maybe another time!”
“I’ll take a rain check” is a response to a social invitation if you can’t go, but you hope the person asks you again in the future.

Nenhum comentário: