quarta-feira, 12 de janeiro de 2011

Marcos Pontes, the first Brazilian Astronaut

Source: www.maganews.com.br

Special Interview
Marcos Pontes, the first Brazilian astronaut

In this interview with Maganews he reveals what he thinks about a variety of subjects


Maganews – What was the most unforgettable [1] moment during your stay at the ISS?
Marcos Pontes – It was when I saw the Earth down there. The view of the planet from space is incredible. 
Maganews – Has the experience of having spent eight days in space changed the way you are or the way you think?
Marcos Pontes – Yes. Up there [2] we can se how small man is and how short our life is. We cannot waste [3] time on the small stuff [4].
Maganews – You have always loved music and even learned to play the guitar and piano. Is there a guitar up there on the ISS?
Marcos Pontes – I like the guitar a lot and I wish I had more time to practice. Up there on the ISS there isn’t a guitar. But even if there were, there would be no time to play it. There was a lot of work to be done there. I had just 6 hours to sleep and even then I only slept three hours. For the rest I was watching the Earth from up there.
Maganews – In 1993 you had guitar classes at CTA. You had a very old guitar. Do you still remember it?
Marcos Pontes – I do (laughs) [5] and I miss [6] it. Today I have a new guitar here, but a new guitar is never the same as an old one (more laughs).
Maganews – What is your life in Houston like, the city that is home to NASA?
Marcos Pontes – I have lived in Houston since 1998. It is a city of over 4million people. From time to time my family and I go to a Brazilian restaurant.
Maganews – What should Brazil do to become a force in the scientific area?
Marcos Pontes – Brazil should invest much more in education. This investment would result in a lot of benefits for the development of our science and technology. The government and private companies must also strike partnerships in scientific projects.
Maganews – Do you cook [7]? What is your favorite dish [8]? Do you like sweets?
Marcos Pontes - Yes. Like all military men, we have to learn to get by [9]. I like simple things likefried breast of chicken [10]. I loved it when my mom made it in the skillet [11]. As for sweet, I’m not a big fan.
Maganews – What do you like to listen to?
Marcos Pontes - I listen to everything, from classical to metal.
Maganews – What religion are you?  Do you pray [12] before you sleep?

Marcos Pontes – I’m Catholic, and I pray. I put my life in God’s hands all the time.
Maganews – If you had to choose another profession, what would it be?
Marcos Pontes – I would do anything involving design, music, or literature.

Neste dia 09 de Janeiro, Dia do Astronauta, reproduzimos aqui esta entrevista feita com o primeiro astronauta brasileiro (matéria publicada na edição de número 32 da revista Maganews).

Vocabulary
unforgettable – inesquecível
up there – lá em cima
to waste - desperdiçar
small stuff – coisa pequena
laughs – risos
to miss – aqui = sentir falta
to cook – cozinhar
dish – prato
to get by – se virar
10 fried breast of chicken – peito de frango frito
11 skillet. – panela
12 to pray - rezar

Nenhum comentário: